Data-driven stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Data-driven stuff

Post by hedonismbot on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:07 am

Hello all, I recently got ahold of the source, and I've been poking around a bit. I figured (and Karel agreed without me needing to ask) that this codebase needs to split off data from code. By this I mean we need to get the descriptions of things like the girls out of the code. It is tedious to add new girls. This is easy to fix. To that end, I've written up a version that reads the girls and their stats from a text file. Currently it's primitive, like this:

Name: Aerith
Charisma: 10
Obedience: 35

And so on. I'm thinking of changing it to a XML-based format. I'm also thinking about linking in the filenames for the images that each girl uses. That would be a very significant change, but it'd make it much more reasonable for people to add their own images. Currently you have to encrypt them, and name them very specifically. I could let you just drop in a jpeg and link it from the girls.txt and be off.

I wanted to run this by some people here to see if it is reasonable. Is there anything that should be changed? Added? Is the XML thing good for you all, or would it just make things difficult? If this goes well, I'll be changing over the houses and a few other bits of data to become publicly-editable.

hedonismbot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Data-driven stuff

Post by ShiningRadiance on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:52 am

Turning this game into Whore Master, are we?
ShiningRadiance
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred U. Derf on Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:43 am

My haXe version of the game already does this. Is wasn't too bad of a change, just tedious.

Another, kinda related, change you might consider is to externalize all of the text strings used in the GUI so that translation to other languages becomes (hopefully) easier. True Internationalization is probably alot more work but maybe this would help.

Fred U. Derf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum