Post by OverHao on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi I'm OverHao and I'm starting a new sim brothel remake project
the project is still being defined
but the main ideas are:

-better graphics

-a more user friendly game system

-little more complex story

-try to add something new

I know what you're thinking: here is yet another project ready to fail...
but I believe in this project and I think that if all the sim brothel community will support and help us we can do great things together!!!

for now the team is composed by

OverHao: designer,illustrator,writer

Xela: programmer

randomito: programmer,writer

Terashi: do not know yet...

so before we start the project I was wondering if we need someone:
If you have any special talent that you think is necessary for the success of the project please post a comment below with a description of your skills
we will be happy to have you in the team

are also welcome comments to let us know what you think of the project

greetings OverHao

OverHao

View user profile http://overhaohart.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new SB project

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Kewl. Just for the record, if the other programmer is a professional, there is no point in putting me in programing capacity as I can program in one PL only and have no desire to learn another Smile

Also I have an extensive experience on working on project similar to WM so I can always give some suggestions and/or ideas.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:24 pm

PS: If we do decide that I'll do the coding, I can basically start today. I can set aside couple hours per day for the project, maybe a bit more on weekends...

PS2:
OverHao wrote:
I know what you're thinking: here is yet another project ready to fail...
but I believe in this project and I think that if all the sim brothel community will support and help us we can do great things together!!!

Project—Ā fail because developers leave, not because of lack of the community support Smile

I think the key is to make it light, simple, loads of graphics and pretty design... more complex stuff is better left to game designs like WM or Otherworld.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Xela, in which language do you code ? Smile

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:24 pm

randomito wrote:Xela, in which language do you code ? Smile

Python (2.7)

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:31 pm

oh wow ! I used python a couple of years ago but more for backline/script style stuff. Is it easy to do graphical stuff with it as well ?

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm

randomito wrote:oh wow ! I used python a couple of years ago but more for backline/script style stuff. Is it easy to do graphical stuff with it as well ?

Yeap, depends on framework of choice, but if I was to code for a project like this I would default my framework to RenPy Twisted Evil

It is a fairly advanced framework for graphical novels but practically every kind of a game can be created with it (like a simple RPG or a Sim game). Other advantages are a very decent set of manipulations you could do with graphics and design, ready to use save/load system that hasn't failed ones so far (at least to my knowledge) so there is no need to mess with databases or xml to save stuff. Also it is a 100% ready to release package that works well with all versions of Windows, Linux, Mac and Android as an App (but that is a bit harder to code or at the very least more restrictive).

The best thing is that Python allows a very easy to read syntax and quick design.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 pm

sounds cool ! Smile
I am impatient to see what you can achieve with it ! If it looks good enough I might just refresh my old memories and join into the python coding fun ! Smile

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OverHao on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 pm

umh... I use a bit of python and RenPy too but I do not know if this is so functional for what I have in mind...However,we'll find out later

OverHao

View user profile http://overhaohart.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:33 pm

OverHao wrote:umh... I use a bit of python and RenPy too but I do not know if this is so functional for what I have in mind...However,we'll find out later

?? Well, lets see what you have in mind and work from there.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 pm

I just had a look at Renpy and it has pretty much everything I have been using in VC# !
So count me in, I'll let Xela be the master and I will be the humble padawan, trying to keep up ! bounce

Overhao needs to write the specifications and we need a repository to store and share the sourcecode ! Let's see what we can achieve, and, if we fail, we still have learned something and had fun ! jocolor

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 pm

randomito wrote:I just had a look at Renpy and it has pretty much everything I have been using in VC# !
So count me in, I'll let Xela be the master and I will be the humble padawan, trying to keep up ! bounce

Overhao needs to write the specifications and we need a repository to store and share the sourcecode ! Let's see what we can achieve, and, if we fail, we still have learned something and had fun ! jocolor

Just for the record, I am not an actual programmer, I wanted to make a sim game so I've started to learn Python little less than an year ago but I've never coded for a project like this myself so 'keeping up' with me is very easy Rolling Eyes

Never worked with a repository before either... we'll find a better way to share the code. BTW: Failing shouldn't be an option Exclamation SimBrothel should be simpler to code than WM/OtherWorld since there are less stats, jobs and so on...

For now it's up to OverHao to lay out the general concept and then up to the team to decide what to keep, adjust, throw away or add. After we made all the calls, OverHau can start designing graphics and we'll code that into existence.

I've started to adapt some logic from a different project already. Most of the stuff we cannot do without like classes for girls, buildings, traits, jobs and sh!tz. Also functions for parsing from ini and xml and load data into those classes.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 pm

ok, I've used python for a couple of weeks eight years ago and nothing graphical so I guess we are on a similar level Razz

one thing I think is important is to try out our ideas. It is very difficult to get a design right on the first try so we should build prototypes and have people give feedback. The final decision should remain with Overhao in the end.

for example, one thing I did not like in SIBR1x were the many screens with all the parameters and the drop-down lists. I would like to be able to drag and drop my girls into their brothel, to drag and drop things into their inventory, to see their stats just by hovering my mouse over their pictures, etc ... I have no idea if this looks good or if it is practical so to find out we would need to code it, test it and either adopt or reject it.

For the repository lets just forget about it for now, as long as we are only two coders we should be able to get along without it albino

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:38 pm

mmm I neither like drag/drop nor the mouse hovering to see the stats. SIBR1x is awesome but it lacks two things:

Graphics
Correct picture per category display

Add an improved GUI to that game along with pic categories that would display correct picture to corresponding jobs and I don't think we even need a better SimBro version Smile

Also a good question if we should try and make a more complex logic design like in SIBR1x or create a minimalistic game that is more like the original SimBrothel? Both have great potential and a lot will depend on graphical design as well.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 pm

do you think it is better to select the values of a parameter in a drop down list ? Shocked

actually SIBR1x is a good game but its interface is a excellent collection of mistakes one can do in GUI design affraid

with simplistic and natural actions like drag and drop you can make a game with very complex logic but still easy and fun to play (look at anno 1404 for example)

anyway, maybe drag and drop does not fit with what OverHao has in mind so let's wait what the master tells us farao

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top