Post by OverHao on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi I'm OverHao and I'm starting a new sim brothel remake project
the project is still being defined
but the main ideas are:

-better graphics

-a more user friendly game system

-little more complex story

-try to add something new

I know what you're thinking: here is yet another project ready to fail...
but I believe in this project and I think that if all the sim brothel community will support and help us we can do great things together!!!

for now the team is composed by

OverHao: designer,illustrator,writer

Xela: programmer

randomito: programmer,writer

Terashi: do not know yet...

so before we start the project I was wondering if we need someone:
If you have any special talent that you think is necessary for the success of the project please post a comment below with a description of your skills
we will be happy to have you in the team

are also welcome comments to let us know what you think of the project

greetings OverHao

OverHao

View user profile http://overhaohart.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new SB project

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Kewl. Just for the record, if the other programmer is a professional, there is no point in putting me in programing capacity as I can program in one PL only and have no desire to learn another Smile

Also I have an extensive experience on working on project similar to WM so I can always give some suggestions and/or ideas.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:24 pm

PS: If we do decide that I'll do the coding, I can basically start today. I can set aside couple hours per day for the project, maybe a bit more on weekends...

PS2:
OverHao wrote:
I know what you're thinking: here is yet another project ready to fail...
but I believe in this project and I think that if all the sim brothel community will support and help us we can do great things together!!!

Project—Ā fail because developers leave, not because of lack of the community support Smile

I think the key is to make it light, simple, loads of graphics and pretty design... more complex stuff is better left to game designs like WM or Otherworld.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Xela, in which language do you code ? Smile

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:24 pm

randomito wrote:Xela, in which language do you code ? Smile

Python (2.7)

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:31 pm

oh wow ! I used python a couple of years ago but more for backline/script style stuff. Is it easy to do graphical stuff with it as well ?

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

randomito wrote:oh wow ! I used python a couple of years ago but more for backline/script style stuff. Is it easy to do graphical stuff with it as well ?

Yeap, depends on framework of choice, but if I was to code for a project like this I would default my framework to RenPy Twisted Evil

It is a fairly advanced framework for graphical novels but practically every kind of a game can be created with it (like a simple RPG or a Sim game). Other advantages are a very decent set of manipulations you could do with graphics and design, ready to use save/load system that hasn't failed ones so far (at least to my knowledge) so there is no need to mess with databases or xml to save stuff. Also it is a 100% ready to release package that works well with all versions of Windows, Linux, Mac and Android as an App (but that is a bit harder to code or at the very least more restrictive).

The best thing is that Python allows a very easy to read syntax and quick design.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:11 pm

sounds cool ! Smile
I am impatient to see what you can achieve with it ! If it looks good enough I might just refresh my old memories and join into the python coding fun ! Smile

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OverHao on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 pm

umh... I use a bit of python and RenPy too but I do not know if this is so functional for what I have in mind...However,we'll find out later

OverHao

View user profile http://overhaohart.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:33 pm

OverHao wrote:umh... I use a bit of python and RenPy too but I do not know if this is so functional for what I have in mind...However,we'll find out later

?? Well, lets see what you have in mind and work from there.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 pm

I just had a look at Renpy and it has pretty much everything I have been using in VC# !
So count me in, I'll let Xela be the master and I will be the humble padawan, trying to keep up ! bounce

Overhao needs to write the specifications and we need a repository to store and share the sourcecode ! Let's see what we can achieve, and, if we fail, we still have learned something and had fun ! jocolor

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 pm

randomito wrote:I just had a look at Renpy and it has pretty much everything I have been using in VC# !
So count me in, I'll let Xela be the master and I will be the humble padawan, trying to keep up ! bounce

Overhao needs to write the specifications and we need a repository to store and share the sourcecode ! Let's see what we can achieve, and, if we fail, we still have learned something and had fun ! jocolor

Just for the record, I am not an actual programmer, I wanted to make a sim game so I've started to learn Python little less than an year ago but I've never coded for a project like this myself so 'keeping up' with me is very easy Rolling Eyes

Never worked with a repository before either... we'll find a better way to share the code. BTW: Failing shouldn't be an option Exclamation SimBrothel should be simpler to code than WM/OtherWorld since there are less stats, jobs and so on...

For now it's up to OverHao to lay out the general concept and then up to the team to decide what to keep, adjust, throw away or add. After we made all the calls, OverHau can start designing graphics and we'll code that into existence.

I've started to adapt some logic from a different project already. Most of the stuff we cannot do without like classes for girls, buildings, traits, jobs and sh!tz. Also functions for parsing from ini and xml and load data into those classes.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 pm

ok, I've used python for a couple of weeks eight years ago and nothing graphical so I guess we are on a similar level Razz

one thing I think is important is to try out our ideas. It is very difficult to get a design right on the first try so we should build prototypes and have people give feedback. The final decision should remain with Overhao in the end.

for example, one thing I did not like in SIBR1x were the many screens with all the parameters and the drop-down lists. I would like to be able to drag and drop my girls into their brothel, to drag and drop things into their inventory, to see their stats just by hovering my mouse over their pictures, etc ... I have no idea if this looks good or if it is practical so to find out we would need to code it, test it and either adopt or reject it.

For the repository lets just forget about it for now, as long as we are only two coders we should be able to get along without it albino

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 pm

mmm I neither like drag/drop nor the mouse hovering to see the stats. SIBR1x is awesome but it lacks two things:

Graphics
Correct picture per category display

Add an improved GUI to that game along with pic categories that would display correct picture to corresponding jobs and I don't think we even need a better SimBro version Smile

Also a good question if we should try and make a more complex logic design like in SIBR1x or create a minimalistic game that is more like the original SimBrothel? Both have great potential and a lot will depend on graphical design as well.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:10 pm

do you think it is better to select the values of a parameter in a drop down list ? Shocked

actually SIBR1x is a good game but its interface is a excellent collection of mistakes one can do in GUI design affraid

with simplistic and natural actions like drag and drop you can make a game with very complex logic but still easy and fun to play (look at anno 1404 for example)

anyway, maybe drag and drop does not fit with what OverHao has in mind so let's wait what the master tells us farao

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by orden on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 pm

I don't know VC# or Python but you have to choose carefully the technology to use. Your project can get stuck because you just choosed the language you are already good at and nobody else can understand, build, deploy etc...

- You "can" use a compiled language for the static interface (screens). It' not mandatory as these game are not using a lot of CPU and should be coded to be easy to maintain first.
- But you should absolutely choose an interpreted language for all the game mechanisms and the story part. This enable contributor to enrich your game without the need to be real programmers.
It's how are build a lot of programs now.

Think about how the peoples with download and play the game. As it's adult related, you should avoid making them install permanent stuff (peoples are not always using private computers).

orden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:38 pm

randomito wrote:do you think it is better to select the values of a parameter in a drop down list ? Shocked

actually SIBR1x is a good game but its interface is a excellent collection of mistakes one can do in GUI design affraid

with simplistic and natural actions like drag and drop you can make a game with very complex logic but still easy and fun to play (look at anno 1404 for example)

anyway, maybe drag and drop does not fit with what OverHao has in mind so let's wait what the master tells us farao

Maybe... there are no drop down lists in RenPy, at least not to the best of my knowledge and I don't really feel like coding one either so you shouldn't have to worry about that...

This is an old alpha release of Alkion. I didn't bother translating the last version into English since most changes so far were in the area of code, not gui. Original is in Russian.

**http://www.mediafire.com/?a6qkan5dpb7m4px**

This is basically some of the stuff RenPy can do. There is much more obviously but this is at least an example. Game was like 8 - 9% done at that stage so don't expect much.

orden wrote:I don't know VC# or Python but you have to choose carefully the technology to use. Your project can get stuck because you just choosed the language you are already good at and nobody else can understand, build, deploy etc...

- You "can" use a compiled language for the static interface (screens). It' not mandatory as these game are not using a lot of CPU and should be coded to be easy to maintain first.
- But you should absolutely choose an interpreted language for all the game mechanisms and the story part. This enable contributor to enrich your game without the need to be real programmers.
It's how are build a lot of programs now.

Think about how the peoples with download and play the game. As it's adult related, you should avoid making them install permanent stuff (peoples are not always using private computers).

Da feck???

You just made every possible argument to code dis sh!tz in Python... It works WITHOUT you needing to install ONE thing. It is an interpreted language. It is remarkably easy to mod and there IS NOT A SINGLE PL IN THE WORLD with a better code readability if someone wants to take over the project.

Also I don't recall a single sim indie (SimBro complexity or above) project that was abandoned by original developers and then picked up by another coder. Usually if a new coder comes along, new project is started. It is easier and faster to code in an environment that you created and understand.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by orden on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:44 am

I you look at WhoreMaster, you can see that this game has already a good complexity but it is still unfinished despite the fact that the latest sources are available. Most of the game logic is coded in C++ and the rest in LUA. Everybody seems eager start something else and the code has not evolved since ages. It's a pity because there is a good base.

If you plan to use an interpreted language, maybe you can avoid this. The game logic has to be balanced, it means that you or other contributors will spend a lot of time modifying them to make the game enjoyable. It's not possible to do this easily in WM.

orden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:09 am

orden wrote:I you look at WhoreMaster, you can see that this game has already a good complexity but it is still unfinished despite the fact that the latest sources are available. Most of the game logic is coded in C++ and the rest in LUA. Everybody seems eager start something else and the code has not evolved since ages. It's a pity because there is a good base.

If you plan to use an interpreted language, maybe you can avoid this.

WM is my favorite out of all indies so far! Nothing is actually coded in LUA there, at least I've never seen anything coded in it. LUA was added by Crox to allow better modding of events but API was never finished.

WM is finished to the point where you can play it without to much issues but not even programmers with a LOT more skill than I have risked taking over the development. The thing is that a game like SimBro requires a somewhat complex mechanics and gui. That counts triple for WM that is a LOT more complex under the hood. When a programmer sees the code, regardless what PL it is, most always decide to start from scratch instead of trying to figure out how all classes and functions work, how they communicate with eachother, what encapsulation there is in the code and so on. It is also more often than not a wiser decision, as figuring out amount of code there is in WM is a difficult task and trying to expand it you will likely face a lot of issues on the way that will force you to rewrite a lot of the game to suit your needs. In the end you will likely spend more time changing and tweaking the old code and will create a great mess (even if it is a working mess).

In any case, there is no point in starting this if we are not planning to finish it. Allowing advanced modding by no programmers will depend on what the team decides, I can code either way... hide everything in hardcode and one large datafile allowing only experienced coder to change stuff/add pics OR moving every single stat, trait, text, job, picture, event, joker, item, description and so on into xml/ini doesn't matter from programming perspective. Both approaches have pros and cons.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 am

what I would dream about is illustrated here :

http://games.renpy.org/site_media/media/screenshot/doraquest.jpg

if we could display our girl pages like this it would be wonderful :

- nice graphics
- easy to read and use
- easy to select
- drag drop access to inventory
etc

and its written in Python !

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm

randomito wrote:what I would dream about is illustrated here :

http://games.renpy.org/site_media/media/screenshot/doraquest.jpg

if we could display our girl pages like this it would be wonderful :

- nice graphics
- easy to read and use
- easy to select
- drag drop access to inventory
etc

and its written in Python !

RenPy domain is down for some reason... I'll check it out later.

Edit: It's back, yeap, we could do something along these lines, I don't really like that particular design thou... But something similar would do.

\\ Graphics like that are also not easy to code and draw... It doesn't seem possible to look at how they did it, nor copy their code since it is well encrypted.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Nothin's version seems good as well, I had no idea he advanced it so far before disappearing. Maybe we can model ours to similar design?

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Xela wrote:It doesn't seem possible to look at how they did it, nor copy their code since it is well encrypted.

oh I thought Python code was just obfuscated ? Neutral
So they did something special to hide their code ?

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by randomito on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Xela wrote:Nothin's version seems good as well, I had no idea he advanced it so far before disappearing. Maybe we can model ours to similar design?

why not ! and there is also scoreville which has a nice look and feel as well. I like they idea with the city map as main screen Smile

randomito

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xela on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:56 pm

They did something special and I am not entirely sure what they did. Logic and dialogues come out alright, but screens are a mess.

Can you link me to scoreville? I am not sure what you're talking about.

I'll be back in a couple of hours and try it then.

Xela

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top